Tuesday, October 2, 2007

my first meeting 01/10/2007

Today me and Colin met Graeme, Steve and Lorcan for an introductory meeting. My project is the Whereabouts Clock. We discussed what is expected of us throughout the project generally, i.e. backup files, write minutes on every meeting, use the CVS as a backup submitting not just code but our thoughts as well. Collaboration is recommended between the 6 of us working on Aaron Quigley's projects. We went through our projects in detail, and looked at the milestones that should be achieved before the next meeting. By the end of October I should aim to have Chapter 2 of my report written which is the background research section and it should be around 5 pages long. I should take into account while reading these papers what relates to my project and what is and isn't useful in regards to my own work. I also need to look at location technologies such as WiFi and see what will be most effective.
We were advised to aim for the bulk of our project to be completed by Christmas as "second semester is going to be hell"! Time management is a very important technique and will be very beneficial for organising this project with other college work.
As well as background reading I need to sort out what my working environment will be, Trac was recommended as project management software as it's the "new GForge", also a programming environment, a language to write in(e.g., java, C++) and a blog(obviously i have chosen blogger).
I'm scared.

2 comments:

Lorcan Coyle said...

Nice first post, keep up the good work :-)

Graeme said...

Good first post - don't be too daunted by the project! The key is in breaking each milestone down into really small tasks and working through them. Before you know it the project will be well under way.

Focus on reading and writing a couple of pages about the background of the project this week. We can discuss the technology side of things after that is completed.