Thursday, April 10, 2008

Back to Work

I have Processing and Java cooperating with each other, although as soon as they did I found a load of problems with the database tables and stuff.

To update a location it allows it only if it is not there so you can really only register a location and not update it. I think I'll have to add a new table and use the SQL update statement so that this tells the clock where people are without deleting locations with their registered addresses.

Another problem is with the display, if a users location does change then the icon appears in the right location but it also satys in the previous one, so i have extra icons! Not good. Not sure how to fix this one at the moment.

Also need to figure out a way of incorporating individuality to the icons so that they can be distinguished between each other and correspond to a specific user. I think this should be ok to do. Not sure if I'll be using text or pictures yet.

Thats my list of things to do in the immediate future, I'm sure after my meeting later on I'll have a new longer list!

2 comments:

Steve Neely said...

I was talking with Graeme this morning and he pointed out that if you don't need top keep the old info in your table you could just UPDATE rather than try to INSERT a new row. That'd fix the problem you had with the primary key.

Christine said...

i was thinking that as well but it might cause problems, I'll try using the update statement first, if that doesn't work Lorcan's idea is still there.